This week each group in the class where given a country to research on such as the UK, US, Canada's game industry, and my group were given the United States.
While researching the US games industry it was interesting to find that physical copies of games are falling and people are starting to buy more digitally now, I see this as the future, you look at what Microsoft tried to do with their proposals, Steam does this well and Netflix has taken over the likes of Blockbusters and other rental shops, I can see this happening with games soon. ....
I learnt a lot about the industry in different countries, such as most of the AAA games are being created in Canada due to tax breaks, USA have a few and the UK's are fallen, Indie development seems to be growing here and for the recent future it looks like it will stay that way.
Focusing on the UK games industry since that is where I will be looking for a job after university, I learnt about how it all started, in the late 70's where anyone could get into programming, then home computers came around the 80's, then the 90's home video games became popular.
In today's industry it is not all doom and gloom, yes some big studios have shut but that springs smaller ones out and they could just become as big. The UK games industry is starting to exceed the film industry, it is the largest video game market in Europe but do the the lack of tax incentives other countries are doing much better in terms of jobs such as Canada.
Overall when I look at the UK games industry I see potential, Indie studios are on the rise and more is freedom in the development process, more unique fun games will be made and these small studios could go on to great things.
No comments:
Post a Comment